Treatment of Tonsillitis in child: the clinical presentation of tonsillitis is the same as pharyngitis. It will present with sore throat, difficulty in swallowing, fever, cough, hoarseness of voice. In addition, this child might complain of pain in his ears.
Signs of Tonsillitis in child
1. Child is febrile (viral infection).
2. These are enlarged and inflamed. In chronic tonsillitis the size of the tonsils is bigger but there is little inflammation.
3. There might be purulent discharge over tonsils.
4. In some cases the tonsillar follicles are enlarged.
Treatment for Tonsillitis in child
Investigation of Tonsillitis in child-
Routinely no investigation is required.
Differential Diagnosis for tonsillitis
1. Peritonsillar abscess
Complications of tonsillitis in child
Same as that of pharyngitis the complication is –
This is one disease which if not treated properly can lead to serious complica- tions like Rheumatic fever and Acute Glomerulonephritis. Other complica- tions are otitis media, retropharyngeal abscess. Though streptococcal infection is the commonest cause of pharyngitis, diphtherial infection may have same clinical picture except that toxicity is more with diphtheria and there is grayish membranes over pharyngeal walls.
Treatment for Tonsillitis in child
Syr. Erythrocin 30-50 mg/kg/day in divided doses for 10 days OR Syr. Roxithromycin 5 mg/kg/day in two divided doses OR Syr. Penicillin V (Oral Penicillin) 30 mg/kg/ day. Other drugs which can be used are Syr. Ampicillin, Syr. Amoxycillin, Syr. Cephalosporin. General
1. Warm saline gargles: For older children
2. Syr. Paracetamol 30-40 mg/kg/day in divided doses.
3. Antihistaminic drugs like Pseudo- ephedrine- If there is associated rhinitis. avoid ice creams,cold drinks and fried foods .This will help in preventing the repeated attacks of tonsillitis.
Some children are prone to have recurrent attacks of tonsillitis. Each attack should be treated carefully with a full course of suitable antibiotics. Many a time oral Penicillin is used for a longer duration (1 to 3 months) to prevent the recurrent attacks of tonsillitis.
There is a lot of confusion among parents and the General Practitioners regarding the role of tonsillectomy in recurrent tonsillitis. Here are some of the guidelines.
1. Tonsillectomy is usually not rec- ommended in children below 5 years or during the acute attack .
2. Tonsillectomy is advised in following conditions-
a. Peritonsillar or retrotonsillar abscess
b. Chronic tonsillitis, producing obstructive symptoms
c. More than 5 attacks of tonsillitis in a year. Attacks of sore throats due to pharyngitis should not be counted as attacks of tonsills.
3. Parents should be explained that children can have repeated attacks of upper respiratory tract infection even after tonsillectomy.
4. In the last 2 decades incidence of tonsillectomy has decreased to great extent.
Bacterial infection like group of streptococcus also can cause symptoms of tonsillitis.So take care of small kids and look forward to their better immune system and avoid giving them too hot and too cold drinks as it is langerous for internal layer of mouth, and skin as it damages soft tissues and cells.
For young children the same treatment will be provided but doses would be different and heigh.
Health care services these days are very frequent and there are many ayurvedic herbs that are very effective in respiratory and mouth ulcer type of disease.so you should take medical advice from Doctors.
you can try Ayurvedic medicine for Treatment of Tonsillitis in child as it is safe and there is quick response and stop it infecting again,Ayurvedic medical science is now days is on peek and can treat any kind of disease without antibiotics .