TREATMENT OF THYROID BY AYURVEDA
TREATMENT OF THYROID
Thyroid is a common problem that can be caused by disfunction of the thyroid gland. The thyroid gland is an special organ for producing thyroid hormones, which maintain the body metabolism and action. The thyroid gland is located below the Adam’s apple of neck.
There is two types of thyroid which causes problems.
So,,first we will talk about Hypothyroidsm and about its treatment through Ayurveda.
Hypothyroidism is a disorder associated with inadequate production of thyroid hormones due to structural or functional impairment of the thyroid gland. It is called underactive thyroid disorder as it slows down body’s metabolism.
HYPOTHYROIDISM LEADS TO HORMONAL IMBALANCE IN WOMEN
- According to Ayurveda, Hypothyroidism is due to imbalance of the three doshas caused by climatic change or unhealthy diet . The root cause is vitiated Kapha and Pitta doshas.
CAUSES OF HYPOTHYROIDISM :
- Hypothyroidism is often caused due iodine deficiency. It can be due to lack of TSH hormone produced by pituitary gland . It can be termed as genetic disorder or congenital defect.
- Hypothyroidism may be auto immune or may be due to side effects of surgery or radiation. Stress is another factor to boost hypothyroidism stress , due to reduction of thyrotrophin output.
SYMPTOMS OF HYPOTHYROIDISM.
- Weight gain inspite of proper diet and exercise.
- Hair loss and brittle nails . Hair may be dry , thin and coarse.
- Numbness in fingers and hands . Puffy face and pale skin. Hoarseness of voice.
- Dryness due to decrease in blood circulation/flow to one’s skin.
- Pain and Inflammation in joints. Muscle cramps and stiffness
- Sensitivity to cold which is due to inadequacy of thyroid hormones as this hormone increases metabolism which generates heat in our body.
- Person may feel confused, irritatating and depressed along with headaches in morning.
- Painful periods and even pre-menopause symptoms can be visible.
- Heart disease due to increase in blood cholesterol levels. There is slowed heart rate.
- Vertigo and mood disturbances.
- Decreased immunity leading to recurrent infections .Constipation.
- In children , hypothyroidism may lead to delayed teething and slow growth and mental development.
DIAGNOSES OF HYPOTHYROIDISM.
- Medical history and Blood test of the person are done to diagnose Hypothyroidism.
DIET RECOMMENDED DURING HYPOTHYROIDISM.
- Food to avoid include : cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, rapeseed, brussels sprouts , sweet potatoes , maize , lima beans, soya , mustard , spinach etc as they slow down the functioning of the thyroid.
- One needs to avoid water containing fluoride.
- One needs to quit smoking but increase exercise
FOODS TO BE TAKEN During Treatment of THYROID
- Coconut oil, ghee , flax oil and fish oil are good to use
- Lemons are advised to be taken to fight dry skin problem.
- Vitamin B is recommended.
- Herbal tea turmeric and lemon can help improve blood circulation.
- Iodine rich diet needs to be taken like kelp, beetroot, radish, parsley ,potatoes, fish , oatmeal bananas etc.
- Take spices like ginger and black pepper as they boost heart beat and gives better blood circulation.
- Exercise helps stimulate thyroid gland secretions and helps improve metabolism.
Frequent bowel movements
Intolerance towards heat
Difficulty to concentrate
Scanty or irregular menstruation
Tremors in extremities
Ayurvedic Hyperthyroidism Treatment
According to Ayurveda, impaired digestion of food leads to blockage of the minute channels in the body causing an imbalance in the function of the thyroid gland. Hyperthyroidism reflects profound derangement of vata and pitta doshas. Impaired vayu and pitta go into various channels and systems of the body and cause the symptoms mentioned above.
The two vitiated doshas overstimulate the gastric fire which leads to excessive hunger. Vayu has dynamic, light and unstable properties. It is also marked by frequent bowel movement and irregular menstruation. The increased lightness of vayu makes the body lighter (because of weight loss). Since pitta is basically hot, the patient has excessive sweating and intolerance towards heat. The first line of Ayurvedic treatment in such conditions is to clear these channels in order to balance body energies and restore the correct production and circulation of thyroxin.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
Eat fresh fruits like banana and melons, and dry fruits like dates and walnuts, which reduce aggravated vata and pitta.
Yoga, Pranayama and meditation also help in reigning over aggravated vata and pitta.
Home Remedies for Treatment of thyroid
Mixed juices of cabbage, mustard greens, kale, spinach and radishes. Drink one cup of this mixed juice once daily.
Take 10 gm of dhania seeds (coriander) and add it to a glass of water. Boil and allow it to cool. Strain the mixture and take twice a day to reduce high cholestrol levels.
Mix quantities of long Pipali, black pepper and dry ginger and Consume half teaspoon twice a day with warm water.
Leave a Comment